Medical Alumni Association

History of MAA

Dating back to 1886, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Alumni Association promotes active involvement of alumni in the life of the school and the lives of current students, to enrich their experiences through programs, projects, and awards. An organization with over 6,000 members worldwide, the MAA inducts new members with each graduating class.

When the University of Pittsburgh acquired the medical college in 1905, the Medical Alumni Association voted to join the University of Pittsburgh Alumni Association while retaining its individuality through separate leadership. The Dean of the School of Medicine works in conjunction with an executive director—elected from among the alumni body’s prominent senior physicians—to advance medical education through an enthusiastic and active alumni membership.

Gifts from alumni provide support for scholarships, research projects, travel experiences, and social events for current medical students. The MAA also builds and supports traditions at the School of Medicine—such as Scope and Scalpel, the annual play produced by graduating seniors, Graduation Luncheon, the White Coat Ceremony, and Orientation Luncheon. The medical alumni community welcomes students on their first day, stays with them throughout their education, and ushers each student into residency.